Sunday, March 19, 2006

Kelso in his Coat


Image hosting by Photobucket

In 2000 I agreed to foster Kelso, a "returned" rescue. He settled in well and got along with Pearl, whom I had recently adopted right off the track. One evening in early 2001,we were in our usual evening locations : Pearl hogging the couch, me on the floor knitting, and Kelso dozing on the kitchen rug. I was fretting slightly about Kelso's ability to acclimate himself somewhere else. The lightbulb came on over my head : why don't I adopt him? As soon as I had that thought, Kelso got up, strolled into the room, turned around three times, laid down beside me, put his head in my lap, and went back to sleep.
I took this as A Sign.
Kelso crossed over the rainbow bridge this past fall, at a ripe old age. His coat was the first large project I did as a new knitter. Elann was having a sale on a discontinued Classic Elite yarn, called (drum roll) Kelso. Undaunted by lack of a pattern, I got the yarn and started knitting, using stitch patterns from Sarah Don's Fair Isle Knitting (I don't know how to underline). The 'apron' in front was an add-on which makes me cringe to look at, but Kelso didn't seem to mind. I think he liked to pose and preen a bit while wearing it.
(Next week : Pearl's story)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ande said...

Man, look at all those hound pictures! Awesome! Kinda like a hound brothel with them lounging around like that! Har har.
I'm so sorry you lost Kelso. He does look like he was very proud to be out in a sweater you made him.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Love the pictures and the sweater for Kelso. Great story. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, Layla is a mini pin.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home