Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Current Reading



Scary stories are not my bag. Life is sufficiently frightening to me, without going out and looking for sources of anxiety.

A couple of years ago, on a dark and stormy night, I arrived at a small seaside town, described to me as charming, atmospheric, and old. Whitby is on two steep hills, divided by a snug little harbour. From the window in my B&B near the top of one hill, I could look across the harbour to the ruined abbey on top of the other hill. While I was there I learned that Bram Stoker ( is that a cool name or what )wrote Dracula there, and that the town itself is a prominent part of the story.

It is, indeed, charming. I spent several days there wandering the streets,and walking along the cliffs over the sea, on well-marked paths that are part of a huge National Park.

Fast forward. This past weekend I babysat two greyhounds I hadn't met before. The little girl was named Mina, after one of the girls in Dracula. I seemed to remember that her friend in the book was Lucy, which (insert creepy background music) is the name of my female greyhound. So I'm reading Dracula. I was right about the names. I can't remember which of the girls survives. Guess I'll find out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roz said...

Hello, dear. Roz here. I went through a period years ago of reading a number of the books that would later be made into those classic scary movies: Dracula, Frankenstein, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Dracula was one of the firsts, and I read it in one of my last years in high school. It was such a long time ago, and I don't remember much about the book, but I do remember thinking that the story was more complex and interesting that one would gather from watching the movie. I also remember this association: a couple of boys in my class, boys who tormented me by calling me names and being cute, glued some of the pages together just to be mean. Fortunately, I had already read that part, and I think I still have that copy of the book. How do you like the it?

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home