Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Slow Hand


It's a little-known fact that Eric Clapton got that nickname from the rate at which he produced knitted FOs.

I'm even slower.

Last Wednesday afternoon I read Brooklyn Tweed's Blog entry about a baby hat that he knitted in a couple of hours as a de-stressing exercise. It was the top down Hello Bonnet from Hello Yarn. The task seemed strange and simple. An odd cone-end skein of Louet Gems, procured at MS&W, was in one hand; my new rosewood Lantern Moon 5" Sox Stix in the other. The figure-8 cast on almost defeated me, especially after knitting the first round, when the instructions say Join in the Round. That had me stumped for awhile. After contemplation, I decided it was one a-them zen koan thangs, and kept on going. A most pleasant experience. My favorite part was the back of the head, where decreases allow the hat to hug the head and nape of the neck. I did seed stitch instead of garter for the border.

It was completed yesterday. Monday. Five days after beginning. Another offering for Cate's afghans for Afghans collection.

1 Comments:

Blogger Having a Knit Fitt said...

Thank you, thank you. And I like yours better than Brooklyn Tweed's. I saw the finished sweater this evening at The Yarn Lounge. Love thinking of some Afghan child wearing it and staying warm.
Cate

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home