Thursday, February 08, 2007

afghans for Afghans : a sweater


I loved knitting this sweater.

It's the Orphans for Orphans sweater in Knitting for Peace. The one in the book was done in Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair, just about my favorite yarn. The front and back panels are knitted first, then stitches are picked up and knitted for the sides and sleeves. I opted for the 3-needle bind off for the side seams, and did the sleeves and cuffs in the round. Stripes on the sleeves made it easy to count decreases. Attempts were made to finish the neck edge as the pattern directed : one row single crochet, one row backward crochet. It looked pretty lame, and the photo in the book was suspiciously unenlightening. So I kept the row of single crochet, added a row of knitpurl, then did a sewn bind off. Cuffs and bottom edge were done in seed stitch, because it pleases me more than garter stitch.

This one is destined for Cate's afghans for Afghans effort, and I can hardly wait to start another one, in different colors, maybe a little fair isle or knitpurl pattern here and there, hmmm...

4 Comments:

Blogger Having a Knit Fitt said...

Wow! It turned out to be adorable! Thank you so much for participating.
Cate

7:04 PM  
Blogger Ande said...

Love it! You've made me think very seriously about charity knitting.

9:23 AM  
Blogger christine karr said...

Gorgeous!!!!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger fillyjonk said...

That is very, very cute.

I'm sure it will make someone warm and happy. Nice job.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home